Thursday, October 29, 2009

Are you going to wash my feet?

Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. The devil had already put it into the heart of Judas son of Simon Iscariot to betray him. And during supper Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord are you going to wash my feet?" Jesus answered, "You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand." John 13:1-7

For some people, accepting an act of ministry is more difficult than offering it, for when another assists us our dependence, weakness, and need are admitted. When Peter abandons his pose as the all-sufficient self-made man and receives Jesus's ministry, he acts by faith.
written by Eugene Peterson

This devotion blessed me and reminded me that I need to say "yes" to more people who ask if we need help with anything. Becoming a family as you grow your family through obedience in adoption is an exciting, wonderful time. It can also be one of the most stressful, challenging times in your life. God created us to serve and support one another.

I know Lord, that it is pride that wants to assert absolute independence and be free from all obligations. I would like never to have to ask anybody for anything, not even you sometimes. Forgive my self-righteousness. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment