Thursday, August 19, 2010

Our trip to Haiti












Before our trip to Haiti last week I would have said that my heart was broken for the needs of orphans. I am passionate about their needs and so I advocate for them. However, what I didn't realize was that my heart had only been tender towards them, not broken. This trip to Son of God Orphanage proved to break my heart.
It is one thing to read or to see a picture of children in an orphanage, it is quite another to be there in person. To feel their fingers tap your arm, to hear them sing, to hear the little ones cry out to be held, their little arms and hands reaching out to you. What did we do? We picked them up, we held them in our arms, we kissed their heads, we gave high fives to the older kids who wanted connection, but not a hug. We smiled a lot! It doesn't make sense, this was the poorest conditions that I had ever seen a child living in and we were smiling. We were smiling because we know that the God we serve loves these children more than we ever could. It is impossible not to smile at the beauty of their faces and respond to the look of hope in their eyes. While their lives are challenging, they remain hopeful. Hopeful that someone will cry out for them. Who will that be? I hope all of us in some way.
God has a plan for each and every one of these kids and just maybe we are to be a part of it. Now that is a humbling thought. Seriously, who am I that I could have a part in a positive, eternal change in these children's lives? I am just like them - I am a child of God and I believe that when we step out in obedience God's grace and love falls in abundance and we find ourselves doing things we never thought possible.

-Timberline Church provided a chicken dinner for the staff and children. This is a huge treat in Haiti! While the staff was preparing the meal a little boy tapped my arm and said through our interpretor, "Thank you for the chicken dinner, it has been a long time." The sincerity on his face and the truth of his words brought tears to my eyes. I knelt down, gave him a hug and told him that we loved him and that it made us happy to give them the dinner.
-We me a young girl who had been raped by her step-father and as a result had a daughter. Both her and her daughter are at the orphanage now. She is a precious young lady and I know that God can bring healing into their heart and lives.
-We were given wooden cars that were donated which was a huge hit with all the kids. Within moments some of the kids had string tied to them and were pulling them around, others were having races with them. The cars were a blessing - Thank you!!! :)
There are many more stories to tell from our trip. It is a trip that I will never forget and the beginning of something amazingly special in all our lives.
Luke 9:48
Then he said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes Me; and whoever welcomes Me welcomes the One who sent Me. For he who is least among you all -- he is the greatest."
If you would like to know more about joining us in this journey please contact:
Sean and Tiffany Cherry: seanandtiffany@gmail.com
or myself: Karalot9@gmail.com

Let Love Live :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for allowing God to use your life. Thank you for being broken for Him. Thank you for smiling and helping God's kids in Haiti.

    Your life makes a difference. Keep shining.

    ReplyDelete