Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What is an Advocate?

Proverbs 31:8 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed.

Advocate: One who pleads another's cause

This morning a friend shared with me how God had presented an opportunity for them to open their hearts and home to a 7 year old girl who needed an immediate placement. The Holy Spirit spoke to this moms' heart and said: "ADVOCATE for my child. Who will love the child that I love?"

That is a powerful, powerful request and question.

We are the best and sometimes the only advocate our children will have. Being an advocate brings personal sacrifice and personal discomfort. We may have to step into areas that we normally would shy away from. We may need to stand up to or confront someone who opposes what God has put on our hearts for our children.

I want you to know that you have an advocate and his name is the Holy Spirit.

John 16:5-7
"But now I am going to him who sent me; yet none of you asks me, "Where are you going?" But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your hearts. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you."

We are not alone in this journey. The Holy Spirit is ready and willing to lead us every step of the way. We need to come to him in prayer - lay down our burdens - ask for help - wait and receive.

John 14:18
"I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you."

Whew - that is good news to my heart for sure!! I have an advocate - and so do you. Rest in this promise today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment